|Life is a great teacher even when I am not a great student. Although I don’t drink much, I am striving to be like a fine wine – to get better with age.
Like you, life has taught me much. So I have highlighted 14 of my life lessons here:
- My best education started after I graduated…. and will never end!
- Wisdom is more important than intelligence.
- Life is not about me. Our lives were meant to give away.
- There is much more grey than black and white (not just my hair, but on real issues).
- Recurring patterns and cycles are clear when I look beyond fleeting trends; rather, focus on stable human dynamics.
- A strong sense of purpose provides daily meaning and motivation. Why I do things is more important than what I do.
- Strongly held values enable faster, better decisions.
- My personal faith provides hope in life’s valleys and humility at life’s peaks.
- Integrity is my greatest personal asset. I can prove it or lose it with every decision I make. Living with integrity is rarely convenient, but it’s always the right thing to do.
- A rich life is realized by participating in it versus observing it. To quote my fully engaged wife, Julie Davis-Colan, “Life… be in it!”
- My legacy will be measured by what I leave in others, not what I leave for them.
- People don’t need much – just to be seen and to be heard.
- My trials can either define or refine me. I choose the latter.
- Love really is the answer.
I would love to hear what life has taught YOU.