We have worked with thousands of leaders since co-founding The L Group in 1999. Here is what we have observed as the top 10 derailers of leadership success.
- Have all the answers. (instead of asking all the questions)
- Not connecting with the person behind the employee. (view employees as a means to an end)
- Slow decision-making. (underutilizing intuition and experience)
- Unclear vision and expectations. (blurry expectations lead to blurry results)
- Lack of personal integrity. (without integrity no one will follow you, and if no one is following you, then you are not leading)
- Stop learning and changing. (feeling of having “arrived” and getting complacent)
- Undisciplined approach to hiring employees. (rely on gut feel only)
- Organizational indigestion. (pushing more initiatives into the team than it can digest creates diffused focus)
- Personal ego needs blur the needs of the team. (serving self vs. serving the team)
- Talk more than listen. (results in leadership blind spots)
Avoid these pitfalls by reading 7 Moments… that Define Excellent Leaders.
“7 Moments is concise and compelling! By applying Lee’s practical and inspiring insights, the reader takes a big step toward achieving excellence. The return on investment for this quick-read book is measured by leadership and personal success.”
– Roger T. Staubach, Executive Chairman, JLL Americas & NFL Hall of Fame Quarterback