If you don’t value your own values, no one else will. So, as you are faced with decisions, use your values to help determine what to do. Making values-based decisions sends a strong message about the importance of your values and the integrity of your leadership.
Take the time to communicate your values, allow your team to personalize them, and, most important, live them. Taking these steps will ignite your team’s passion, resulting in a willingness to go the extra mile and act like owners of the business.
Since leadership is an inside job, you must lead from the inside out. Living your values starts with you. Here are six compelling reasons you need to live your values if you want others to follow.
- A value is an implied promise. When you break a promise, more than a promise gets broken.
- You earn the right to expect others to do things by doing those things yourself.
- You judge yourself by your intentions but others judge you by your actions.
- Words to live by are just words unless you live by them. You have to walk the talk.
- People hear what you say, but they also see what you do. And seeing is believing.
- If your values are important enough to express, they are important enough to live by.
Build a strong future for your team by living your values today.
Find more practical, leadership insights in Leadership Matters.
Copyright © 2015 by The L Group, Inc.